“60 Minutes” correspondent Lara Logan apologized Friday for what CBS News is now acknowledging was a flawed report last month about the Benghazi attacks.
“The most important thing to every person at ’60 Minutes’ is the truth, and today the truth is that we made a mistake, and that’s very disappointing for any journalist, it’s very disappointing for me,” Logan said on “CBS This Morning. “Nobody likes to admit that they made a mistake, but if you do, you have to stand up and take responsibility and you have to say you were wrong, and in this case we were wrong.”
CBS and “60 Minutes” came under fire after their Oct. 27 report with security contractor Dylan Davies, who recalled dramatic details about the attacks in Libya last September that left four Americans dead, including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
Davies, who appeared using the pseudonym Morgan Jones, “worked for the State Department in Libya, he was the manager of the local guard force at the Benghazi special mission compound, and he described for us his actions that night, saying he had entered the compound and he had a confrontation with one of the attackers, and he also said that he’d seen the body of Ambassador Chris Stevens in a local hospital,” Logan said Friday.
But days after the interview aired, The Washington Post reported that Jones submitted an incident report to his employer in which he said he was not actually at the compound the night of the attacks.
“He denied the report and he said he told the FBI the same story that he told us, but what we now know is he told the FBI a different story to what he told us,” Logan said. “That was the moment for us that we realized that we no longer had confidence in our source and that we were wrong to put him on air and we apologized to our viewers.”
CBS initially stood by its report, and Logan attributed the attacks against it to the politics surrounding Benghazi. She told The New York Times: “We worked on this for a year. We killed ourselves not to allow politics into this report.”
Logan said Friday they verified that Davies was who he said he was and used congressional testimony to verify the details of his story.
“Everything checked out,” she said. “We take the vetting of sources and stories very seriously at ’60 Minutes’ and we took it seriously in this case, but we were misled and we were wrong and that’s the important thing, that’s what we have to say here. We have to set the record straight and take responsibility.”
Logan said “60 Minutes” will apologize to viewers and officially correct the record during its broadcast Sunday.
Other Must-Read Stories:
Read more stories from TheBlaze